Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Rules are made to be broken. Not these…

Every once in a while, I am compelled to deal with a grammar pet peeve. Why? I don’t know. Perhaps because I believe sloppy, careless or indifferent grammar is a poor reflection on the individual. Furthermore, how we write and speak says a lot about our character and how we think and treat others.

Is it I or Me?

In writing and in speech, you rarely, if ever, place yourself before others. Unfortunately, in our “me first” society, people literally put themselves first even in communication. That’s just plain rude. In a list, “I” or “me” comes last:

Incorrect: I, Jenny and the boys are going to the gym.

Incorrect: Me, Jenny and the boys are going to the gym.

Correct: Jenny, the boys and I are going to the gym.

If you are ever confused, write or say the sentence with only yourself in it:

Incorrect: Me is (or am) going to the gym.

Correct: I am going to the gym.

Now add Jenny and the boys to the sentence, keeping the reference to yourself last.

Correct: Jenny, the boys and I are going to the gym.

For the life of me, I can’t understand why people start off a sentence with “Me”. Again, when I hear it, I think this person believes he or she is more important and puts himself or herself before others. This is generally not the impression people want to project. I can only think of two instances where it’s appropriate to begin a sentence with “me”:

1. When “Me” is the one word answer to a question.

2. When you are declaring or requesting yourself added to a list: “Me too.” and “Me too, if you have to know.”

I, myself understand this grammar rule

“Myself” is often incorrectly used when referring to yourself in conversation and writing. You use “myself” when you are referring to yourself for the second time in a sentence:

Incorrect: Send myself an email.

Correct: I sent myself an email.

Admittedly, it’s rare for someone to say or write “Send myself an email.”, but it is very common to hear “Send Chip and myself an email.” This, of course, is incorrect. You know this because when you remove Chip from the list, you have “Send myself an email.” which we’ve established is incorrect. “Send me an email” is correct.

When it comes to “me”, “myself” and “I”, even professors, authors and  public speakers get confused at times. The techniques described herein help to minimize the mistakes. When in doubt, consult a dictionary, or, visit one of the plethora of grammar websites on the web. As a writer, I consult the dictionary, thesaurus and grammar sites regularly. Here’s a grammar website I find helpful.

Feel free to share your grammar pet peeves in the Comments box. If you have a favorite grammar website, please share the URL.

No comments:

Post a Comment