Thursday, November 3, 2011

It’s just a fickle pickle of speech

Alliteration, assonance and consonance. Most are familiar with the first, but not with the latter two. Few writers probably know the terms though they employ the figures of speech in their works.

I thought about writing a diddy that included all three, but that is a monumental challenge of gigantic proportions, and I’m not exaggerating! But I hope you agree that two out of three ain’t bad

A fickle pickle cost me a nickel
A nickel for a pickle, I said with a prickle
My digits did tickle this pickle so slickle
I’ll find me a sickle to pick up this pickle
But nary a rickle; but nary a trickle
No sickle, no pickle that cost me a nickel
    © 2011 Brian Beasley, All rights reserved.

Now I don’t expect the folks who make Vlasic, Zinger, Koeleman’s or even Peter Piper’s to come a-callin’ clamoring to lease the rights to use my poem, but it sure was fun writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment