Monday, January 30, 2012

The Super Bowl of ads

It’s Super Bowl week and there is as much anticipation for the advertisements as there is for the game. The pre-game hype is building to a fevered pitch. I love it! I live for televisions commercials, as some of you will recall from a recent blog post.

I know there are websites with most of the commercials already posted for viewing, but I want to get the event experience. I’ve paid scant attention to the web headlines and the social media yap. I know there’s a commercial based on the 1986 movie, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, starring Matthew Broderick, but I have no idea who the advertiser is or the storyline. I loved the movie, so I have high expectations that the commercial will enhance the legacy.

The Good

We’ve all seen some epic commercials over the years. At the top of most critic’s list you will undoubtedly find the 1984 Apple Macintosh commercial. Also on the list, the 1979 Coca-Cola commercial with the boy and Pittsburgh Steelers defensive tackle and future Pro Football Hall of Fame member “Mean” Joe Greene. It certainly struck a powerful chord that still resonates 33 years later.

The Bad

But some also become the hot topic of conversation around the water cooler for the wrong reasons. Think HomeAway's Test Baby commercial in 2011.

The What?!

Other’s just make you scratch you head and think “Really?” I put the 1995 Budweiser frogs commercial in that category.

I will be parked on the sofa with my laptop, documenting my reactions to each and every commercial. Like anyone else, I adore 30- and 60-second theater laced with arresting cinematography, stunning visuals and a moving soundtrack, but I’m looking for the ads that are expertly written.

For me, it’s all about the words. After all, I’m a copywriter.

No comments:

Post a Comment