Tuesday, February 28, 2012

And so the story goes

In yesterday’s post, I lamented the lack of emphasis on writing in our public education system and the repercussions it has had in today’s society. So few high school and college graduates today can write well, and not surprisingly, many hate writing.

I have a different shortcoming. I’m not a very captivating verbal storyteller. Or at least I don’t think I’m very good at telling stories. The reasons I lack confidence are that I sometimes

  • forget important details
  • jumble the facts
  • am unable to recall the names of key players in the drama
  • confuse the sequence of events

Children are to be heard

I sprouted from a family that didn’t have a heritage of weaving yarns or relating the experiences of the day. Daily interactions were brief. Everyone seemed too busy to pay attention. Storytelling wasn’t part of the day, ever. So I never acquired the skill.

Growing up, classroom presentations didn’t exist in elementary and middle schools. As I moved through high school and college, giving oral reports and speeches intimidated me. I stood before the class and quivered and quaked as I delivered my presentation from a script in a weak and monotone voice. Boring.

I much preferred writing. Personal letters, poems, school reports, compositions, research papers, essays and blue book finals were my salvation. I knew I had an ability to write and I relished the opportunity to prove it.

For whatever reason, the ability to write didn’t translate to an ability to read aloud what I wrote in an engaging manner. My words failed to come alive when I uttered them. That was all on me as an orator. A lack of confidence and comfort before an audience sabotaged me.

Practice makes perfect

Fast forward to the present. I am now proficient at giving presentations because it was a requirement with most every job I’ve held. I’m also a capable public speaker with prepared text. When it comes to off the cuff, a.k.a. extemporaneous or impromptu speeches, it depends on the context, audience, and subject matter. Storytelling, however, still requires some work.

As in writing, giving presentations, public speaking and storytelling is all about learning the craft and practice, practice, practice.

And practice I shall continue in the hopes that someday I will be proudly known as an enthralling storyteller.

No comments:

Post a Comment