Friday, February 10, 2012

A writer’s mulligan stew

Do writers ever get a mulligan? This is golf’s equivalent of a “do over”. It is described as when a player gets a second chance to perform a certain move or action.

There are days when I publish my blog satisfied with the work I’ve performed and comfortable that I am giving my readers something worthwhile to invest their time in. But later in the day, I return and re-read what I released and a bit of unease creeps into my soul.

Dread looms over me as I begin to worry that my audience is going to be disappointed in my writing.

“What is this crap?” they may ask themselves. “The piece seems uninspired. It lacks flow. The key ideas are disjointed. I’m not sure what the point of the post is, if there even is a point.”

This may be a bit irrational. I read other writer’s blogs and I’m never that harsh. Still, I worry that others aren’t so understanding or forgiving. I stew over it for awhile.

Do writers have their own version of a mulligan? Not to my knowledge, but if we do, I need to bank a few, for there’s little doubt in my mind that I’ll have to use one from time-to-time.

Maybe today.

No comments:

Post a Comment