Thursday, September 29, 2011

Can we hash out Twitter Trends?

I learned via a Twitter Trends hashtag that today is National Coffee Day. I’m so excited. Not really. I drink a cup or two of coffee in the morning, but to be honest, my taste for it is very pedestrian. I’m perfectly happy with Folgers House Blend medium roast brewed in our Cuisinart 12-Cup Programmable Thermal Coffeemaker.

I do know what I’m missing. I’ve enjoyed many a cup of a fine roast served by a barista at the popular coffee purveyor Genuine Joe Coffeehouse in Austin as well as excellent brews from Scooter’s Coffeehouse. Ah, the aroma and flavor!  But splurging for a cup at one of these establishments is the exception to the rule for me.

Am I the exception when it comes to hashtags raising my awareness of popular discussions on Twitter? I monitor Twitter from dawn until the late night talk shows start. I see the hashtags under the Trends header. But I can count on one hand the number of times I clicked on a Trends hashtag.

One reason is that many of the trending topics each day don’t interest me. For example, here is what is trending now in Austin:

Trends: Austin · change

DearHair is a promoted hashtag. I’m the guy who hates messing with my hair. I keep it very short so I can wash it quickly, run a hairbrush through it quickly, let it air dry quickly and forget about it quickly for the next 24 hours.

EnoughIsEnough did capture my curiosity, so I clicked on it this morning. People seemed to be telling someone to stop whining on Twitter. I couldn’t follow the trend to the source, so I’m not sure who created all of the fuss. That was frustrating for me.

DearOOMF is too cryptic, and therefore, uninteresting to me. No click.

While paranormal activity is intriguing to me, I haven’t watched the first two films in the trilogy, so I have no desire to follow any discussion on Paranormal Activity 3.

I watched the Boston Red Sox and Atlanta Braves season’s end prematurely last night and I saw the home run that capped a terrific run by the Tampa Bay Rays, so I understand why these baseball teams erupted on Twitter and have remained a hot topic today. Why the St. Louis Cardinals aren’t trending is a bit of a mystery, though.

Speaking of, I clicked on the link in this @SInow tweet: Read this piece by @JPosnanski on last night's baseball games. Fantastic. http://bit.ly/nLqk5s. It truly is a spectacular read, trust me.

I read a blog of the $199 Amazon kindle fire tablet PC on ZDnet yesterday. The product sounds exciting and the price is very attractive to me. I’ll avoid the hype on Twitter until we get closer to the product release. At that time, I expect the information and links conveyed in tweets to be more robust and accurate (i.e. based on facts).

Back to hashtags, am I missing something that isn’t about National Coffee Day? Maybe I need to research if it’s possible to customize Twitter Trends so I can follow topics that interest me. That would be powerful and very useful for me. Then, my Trends hashtag clickthrough exception would become the rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment