Monday, September 26, 2011

A gecko in your cup

Imagine my surprise this morning when I grabbed a coffee cup from the cupboard and found it was occupied.

IMAG0162

Photo Caption: I named him Folgers.

Hey, what are you doing in there? Trying to get out, I’m sure. Poor little guy was probably exhausted. His fatigue likely turned to panic and quite possibly terror when the mug moved and my ugly mug peered into the cup to discover his presence.

Do you understand how the little guy felt? I can totally relate. Sometimes when I’m writing, my thoughts flow briskly onto the page. I have good momentum and all is right with the world. Then unexpectedly, and without warning, I fall into an empty well.

Nothing.

I’m stuck.

Why can’t I write the next line?

Like the gecko, I can see there’s a way out, but with each new stab at composing the next verse, I slide right back into the abyss. Unlike the gecko, I don’t experience panic or terror, just frustration. Several futile attempts later, I’m mentally and emotionally tapped out and I realize I need to take a break.

Later, when I return to the keyboard with a clear mind, I’m usually able to complete the assignment. On occasion, though, I need an assist and call someone to talk it out.

Folgers definitely needed an assist. After he finished posing for my photo session, I set him free in my front yard garden. There’s plenty of fixes for him to get into out there, but it’s a certainty none will involve a coffee mug…or copywriting.

No comments:

Post a Comment