Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tennis anyone?

I am on my way to Tyler Texas today to play in the USTA Texas Section Championship tournament this weekend. My team qualified by winning our league championship in Austin. I’ve played on teams in USTA leagues in Columbus, Ohio, Flower Mound, Texas and here in Austin since the late 1980s. This is the first time my team has qualified for sectionals. I’m very excited.

At sectionals, there are three flights with four teams in each flight. My team is in flight one along with the winners out of Waco, Corpus Christi and San Antonio. Flight two has teams from Fort Worth, Amarillo, North Houston and Beaumont. Flight three has teams from Dallas, Midland, Houston and Northeast Texas.

USTA Sectionals_Texas_Flight_1
If Austin is 5-0 in the Wins/Losses columns come Sunday evening, it’s on to Nationals!

We are guaranteed three matches: one on Friday and two on Saturday. Each team fields three lines of doubles for each match. Win two lines and you win the match. If my team wins our flight, we play in the semis on Sunday morning and either the consolation round or the finals thereafter. The champions automatically qualify for the USTA Nationals tournament, October 14 – 16, 2011 in Indian Wells, California.

It’s a big weekend for tennis. I’m about packed and ready to go. There’s no doubt I need to bring my “A” game to help the team succeed in Tyler.

No comments:

Post a Comment