Monday, September 12, 2011

A day like most any other day. Almost.

I spent the tenth anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks going about my life like most any other day.

Almost.

I started the morning a bit differently. I set the alarm to wake me up early so I could watch a portion of the ceremonies in Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania. After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I went downstairs and fired up the television. As my Samsung TV went through its two minutes and thirty seconds warm-up, I hung the American flag.

I returned to the family room and watched as the ceremony at Ground Zero took place. My heart hung heavy and those familiar emotions washed over me as I recalled that horrific day.

I sat and listened. And reflected. Life in America has changed some since September 11, 2001, but in more ways than not, it has remained the same. As President Obama remarked:

"These past 10 years have shown that America does not give in to fear," he said. Nor to suspicion or mistrust or sacrificed values, he said.

"Our people still work in skyscrapers," Obama said during an evening ceremony centered on American hope and resilience.

"Our stadiums are still filled with fans, and our parks full of children playing ball. ... This land pulses with the optimism of those who set out for distant shores, and the courage of those who died for human freedom."

We always remember. We pay our respects. And we honor those who died on September 11th, 2001 by living each day to its fullest.

As the names of the 2,983 who perished on that day were read, I spent another moment in thought, and then turned off the television. I had a tennis match at 9:00 a.m. and it was time to get on with my day. A day that’s like most any other day.

Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment