Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Limericks? Or lemonricks?

I love whimsical limericks.  I have a Little Golden Book titled Pocketful of Nonsense by James Marshall that is a wonderful collection of rhymes, ditties and limericks. I keep this children’s book at my desk and pull it out when I need to lighten and brighten my day.

I mean, how can this not put a smile on your face?

Antoinette Leach limerick_lg

It gets even better with this one:

A Spider limerick_lg

These James Marshall originals are so very clever.  My daughters loved it when I included Pocketful of Nonsense in the nighttime reading. The magic in limericks and other rhymes is reading them aloud and the 20 in this Little Golden Book were no exception. Plus, the illustrations are simply marvelous…a visual icing on the cake.

One day, inspiration hit me and I decided to write my own fun little limericks. These don’t follow the standard form of limericks in terms of cadence and accents, but I think they’re pretty solid efforts for a novice:

Family Limericks -- by Brian Beasley

There once was a woman named Janet
The finest female on the planet
A daughter, wife, mother and teacher
The love she gave was her greatest feature
Her fame shall be etched in granite

There once was a girl named Brooke
Who loved to read from a book
She read and she read
From morning until bed
Oh the ideas she did cook


There once was a girl named Blaire
Who did everything with such flair
She designed and she drew
A thirty color shoe
That simply was beyond compare

Apologies to Gershon Legman, Arnold Bennett and George Bernard Shaw who argue that a true limerick as a folk form is always obscene, but I couldn’t go there when writing about the special ladies in my life.

Are you a fan of limericks? Have you ever written limericks? If yes, do share in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment