Thursday, December 8, 2011

Stung by the spelling bee

Periodically I am compelled to write about spelling and proper grammar, topics many dismiss as trivial. In the grand scheme of things, they argue, it doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. I ardently and fervently disagree.

I am dismayed by the prevalence of poor spelling and grammar in communication. One doesn’t have to look far to see the problem is widespread. Go to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, Google+, WordPress, Blogger, or any other social media site. Don’t stop there, though, you can find these same issues on company, media, and yes, even education web sites. In the case of institutions of higher learning, I find it appalling.

Lest ye is tempted to blame it on the generation recently out of school, allow me to set the record straight. I’ve seen these problems throughout my career. I’ve noticed that it cuts across all ages, economic classes and most every demographic. Clearly, it’s an epidemic.

Is it an important issue? Absolutely. Misunderstanding through miscommunication can lead to mistakes. Mistakes can lead to misery. Misery can lead to many things, none that are likely to have a good outcome.

Lose and Loser/Loose and Looser
When you are telling someone he or she is not a winner, you are calling that person a loser. It’s lose with an “r” on the end.

“He is a loser (not a winner) with looser morals than sailor who chases loose girls in every port and will soon lose his wife.”

Height and Weight
I’ve heard enough people say heighth that I’m beginning to wonder if it has been passed along from generation to generation. I always suspected the confusion was tied to the term width. Think weight, instead. You never say “They need to lose weighth.” Height is treated the same way:

CORRECT: It takes the whole program to a new height.

INCORRECT:  It takes the program to a new heighth.

Idea and Ideal
An idea is any conception existing in the mind as a result of mental understanding, awareness, or activity:

CORRECT:  I have a good idea.

INCORRECT: I have a good ideal.

An ideal is a standard of perfection or excellence:

CORRECT:  She is the ideal height.

INCORRECT: She is the idea height.

Could of / Could’ve
Here’s one that is commonly mispronounced in speech and misspelled in written communication.  While it sounds like “could of”, the proper term is the contraction for “could have”, which is spelled “could’ve”:

CORRECT: I could’ve gone all night.

CORRECT: I could have gone all night.

INCORRECT: I could of gone all night.

You can substitute “would of”, “would’ve” and “would have” above.

I could go all night with examples, but instead, I’ll close by extending you an invitation to share some misspellings and grammar errors you see and hear regularly. Please share them in Comment.

How To Win the Spelling Bee
If you don’t have confidence in your spelling or your grammar, or simply need a copywriter, I would be pleased to assist you in a consulting capacity. Contact me at briantbeasley@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment