Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Take my word for it

Vituperative.

Seemingly out of nowhere, the word popped into my head this morning. I wasn’t angry or lashing out at someone. Nor was a verbal undressing given or received being replayed in the theater in my mind.

Nope.

In fact, there was nothing spectacular, inspirational or provocative coursing through my brain when the word sprung from the depths of my memory.

vi·tu·per·a·tion [vahy-too-puh-rey-shuhn], noun
  - verbal abuse or castigation; violent denunciation or condemnation.

Huh? Where did that come from, and why? I haven’t used or thought of the word in ages.

Wonderful word, though. It slithers off the tongue like a deadly snake. It’s bite venomous.

Take my word for it, in my line of work I’ll never be presented the opportunity to use vituperative. It breaks too many rules of writing today.

Fortunately, I have this blog where these rules don’t apply. Furthermore, I have dedicated and appreciative readers like you.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment