Monday, October 17, 2011

This copy isn’t for the birds

The copy is due. It’s almost perfect and you know it. But the vultures are outside your door. Waiting. Trapped with Vultures at your door

You sold them on the copy platform and now you have to deliver to the doubters. So you put in the extra work, laboring over every syllable. There is no bloat. Not a word is wasted. And this pleases you.

Yet the presence of those birds is unnerving, creating just a tinge of stress, raising your heart rate a tad.

Fortunately, unlike the raccoon in the trap on my neighbor’s roof, you are in control. Your superlative command of the English language and writing chops are your salvation. You present your copy and everyone loves it. Raves over it, in fact. And you smile inside.

This is what drives me as a writer. Every assignment presents a challenge, and an opportunity. The final product is an expression of myself; a representation of my unique style and way of thinking.

Confident, I thumb my nose at the vultures.

And I live to write another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment