Monday, March 19, 2012

Can you picture this?

I led a discussion on infographics for a bloggers group today. As a copywriter, the topic is a bit of a stretch for me. I’m biased, you see. I prefer an abundance of words complimented by a few visuals. Infographics seems destined to limit words in favor of an abundance of graphics.

There’s a dichotomy at play here.

A commitment is your word, though, so I put aside my personal views on the matter, conducted some additional research and crafted a presentation entitled “The Rise and Fall of Infographics”. I patterned a fair portion of it after a blog post of theWrite Down The Line blog same title I wrote back in December on infographics. A necessary addition to the presentation, however, was a brief (very brief) discussion on the history of infographics.

In addition, it was important to update some of my examples, since many infographics are on issues of the day. Therefore, some are stale after 30 days, and a significantly higher percentage are very dated after three months.

The upshot

The discussion went very well. Attendees were very engaged and asked some excellent questions. As is always the case in a professional organization, I learned some things from my audience. I will incorporate these data points into my presentation in the next few days.

This topic remains very popular, it seems. I’m thinking I may need to be careful here. If my presentation is too well received and word spreads, I may be invited to speak to other organizations.

I’m already scheduled to present on the topic at the Austin Marketing Syndicate on Thursday and at a RISE Session on Tuesday, March 27.

I may gain a reputation as a knowledge authority on infographics. Imagine that: a copywriter who can barely draw stick figures, an expert on infographics.

Can you picture this?

No comments:

Post a Comment