Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Word games people play

Authentic.

It’s another term bandied about in business and marketing so much that it is now diluted and has lost much of its impact. That’s sad because it’s a cool word. I like saying it and I like what it means and the values it represents.

The first syllable hints at how others view someone who is authentic: with awe.

Yet today, the more I hear brand stewards talk about authentic engagement with the products and services, the more my gag reflex kicks in.

Sick from overuse

If authentic has not found its way to a Buzzword Bingo card near yet, it’s only a matter of time.

The nominations for placement on the 2013 “List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness” are probably pouring in in greater numbers with each passing week.

au·then·tic [aw-then-tik]  adjective

  1. not false or copied; genuine; real: an authentic antique.
  2. having the origin supported by unquestionable evidence; authenticated; verified: an authentic document of the Middle Ages; an authentic work of the old master.
  3. entitled to acceptance or belief because of agreement with known facts or experience; reliable; trustworthy

Authenticity personified

To be authentic is to be true and honest; to be yourself. It’s pretty straightforward. When I interact with an individual, I want the genuine Jane or Joe. The same is true with companies and brands. Much like we felt about our peers back in high school, there’s nothing I dislike more than someone who is two-faced.

Don’t tell me you’re authentic. I’ll figure that out rapidly through observation and interaction. Actions do speak much louder than words. My advice:

Be true. Be you.™

No comments:

Post a Comment