Monday, March 26, 2012

An unexpected vocabulary lesson

Are you up for a vocabulary quiz?

I am reading Careless in Red, a wonderful psychological whodunit British novel by American author Elizabeth George.

I’ve always believed I possess an above average command of the English language and a fairly broad vocabulary. In a matter of just a few pages, Jones destroyed my confidence.

In just a few pages, I came across an eye-popping list of eleven words that challenged my memory and understanding of etymology. How many more words will I add to the list? 2X? 3X? It’s entirely possible since I’m only one-third of the way through the book. Little did I know the expanse of words I don’t know.

Quiz time

Grab a paper and pen and write down each word in this list followed by your own short definition:

  1. lachrymose
  2. anachronicity
  3. execrable
  4. blithely
  5. niggard
  6. putatively
  7. joie de vivre
  8. obdurate
  9. casuistry
  10. fecundity
  11. panegyric

When you’ve finished writing the definition for each, click on word in this post and compare your description with the dictionary definition.

Your score

How did you do?

I failed miserably. I can honestly say four words and the French phrase were firsts for me. I had never seen these terms prior to crashing into them in the novel. Context should have helped me obtain a general sense of the meaning of these terms, but alas, I couldn’t conjure even an educated guess.

Perhaps reading at midnight had something to do with it. An exhausted brain has difficulty firing synapses to make critical connections.

Excuses excuses

No. I believe I have to expect an author and teacher with an English degree who writes novels based in Britain is going to have a rich vocabulary rife with words from the Queen’s English. Words I will learn and eventually work into my repertoire.

Watch out Scrabble opponents.

No comments:

Post a Comment