Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A well scripted day

I just spent a long day revising two software training video scripts and writing the first draft of the ninth installment in the series for a client.

One would think that with six approved scripts (the seventh was approved mid-afternoon today), a formula would be in place and the initial draft development would be straightforward, quick and simple.

Not.

Training the writer

Each script deals with a unique capability of this robust piece of software. I have to fire up the product and familiarize myself with the capability in preparation for developing the first draft. Then, I refer to a PowerPoint presentation on an earlier version of the software the client provided me. It is very helpful and enables me to put some shape to the script outline.

While writing the script, I find myself bouncing back and forth between the software, the presentation and my draft. The software is a resource hog that can be a serious drag on my laptop’s performance, especially when I toggle between applications. The screen refresh can take so long. This slows everything down, which is frustrating.

Something’s amiss

Every once in a while, as I verify that my description of a step in the software’s process is accurately described, I trip on an apparent bug or anomaly in the product. I add a Comment in the script, and then get back to writing.

Eventually, I have a reasonable facsimile of a script that flows and describes how the software capability performs and how the viewer can leverage it to be more effective. I read the script aloud, make a couple of adjustments, and save it.

Client communication

My email message to the client is formulaic, straightforward, quick and simple:

Dear John,
Attached is the first draft of script #X, “How to blah, blah, blah”.

Please note the Comment on page 2 about a possible bug.

I look forward to your feedback.

Kindest Regards,
Brian

Attach script and send.

A deadline is met and my work for today is done. That feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment