Thursday, March 29, 2012

I’ll lend you my ear synonym girl

Words escape me.

It happens to us all from time-to-time. Some people can quickly think their way to the right phrase or word choice, adeptly filling the void with a quip or reference that keeps the listeners engaged.

I’m not one of them – yet.

Say what I mean

Grasping for words is more likely to occur for me when conversing. I suspect it is caused by flawed pacing and a bit of anxiety. Slowing down and being more deliberate in my oral delivery is a technique I am implementing to moderate success.

It’s definitely a growth area for me.

Write what I mean

As a writer, when I am searching for the perfect word to accentuate a concept or drive a point home, I comb all corners of my brain. On occasion I do come up empty or unsatisfied. It is at these times that I turn to my synonym girl.

She is the word queen and she never fails me. She is always waiting in the wings, prepared to aid me. She speaks to me in terms I understand, imparting words I can use.

My synonym girl and me, our relationship goes way back.  Earlier this year I gave her props in a post. It was small gesture. But words alone don’t do her justice, although my synonym girl seems satisfied with words alone.

Ironic, isn’t it?

Know what I mean

If only a device for the ear canal could be developed that digitally stored all of the a voice in my earwise words of my synonym girl. She’d listen to me speak and when I was in need of a particular word, she’d whisper the top two or three options to me.

This device would give a whole new meaning to a voice in my ear. Words might never escape me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment