Friday, March 16, 2012

A little bit of work & a lot of live music

What a day!

Sure, there was a spate of copywriting work in the morning. I finished up a video script and sent it to my client. I then did a bit of project administration and housekeeping before shutting down the work week.

It was time to go play.

Off to Maria’s Taco Xpress and some live music, courtesy of Sin City Social Club. What a lineup! My wife and I arrived around 2:45 p.m. and The Record Company was on stage. What a wonderful band, and they just kept getting better as the afternoon gave way to the evening.

We stayed for six hours and saw the following performers:

2:45 The Record Co. (Los Angeles, CA)
3:15 Ken Stringfellow - (The Posies, Big Star and REM) - (Paris, FR)
3:45 Ponderosa (Atlanta, GA)
4:30 Deadman (Austin, TX)
5:15 Mike Farris (Nashville, TN)
5:45 Deadstring Brother (Nashville, TN)
6:15 Shurman (Austin, TX)
6:45 Mike Stinson (Houston, TX)
7:15 Jesse Dayton - (Austin, TX)
7:45 Two Hoots & A Holler (Austin, TX)
8:15 The Whiskey Sisters (Austin, TX)

It was a superb mix of musical styles delivered with tremendous verve and passion. I love live music and these bands and musicians only made me crave for more.

I have to admit, I was a bit distracted from 6:00 p.m. until Jesse Dayton finished his raucous set. I had one eye on my smartphone tracking my alma mater, Ohio University, in the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Their first round opponent was Big Ten co-champion, Michigan Wolverines. The Ohio Bobcats, a so-called mid-major team from the Mid-American Conference (MAC), pulled off the upset victory, 65-60.

A little bit of work. A lot of live music in Austin, Texas in the company of good friends. And my Ohio Bobcats knock of a Big Ten power in the NCAA Tournament.

As I expressed in the first sentence of this post…what a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment