Friday, March 2, 2012

I see no ad, read no ad, click no ad online

One week ago I wrote about my road trip and how I didn’t really notice the brands I was exposed to during the 3.5 hour drive. Today, I spent most of my time in my home office; however, I wouldn’t be surprised the number of brands that crossed my field of vision wasn’t much different.

From the master bath to the kitchen to my office, I touched or saw scores of products. My ability to remember brand names, not surprisingly is a far different story compared to last week until I enter…

The online world

I spend a lot of time on my computer visiting dozens and dozens of websites each day. I am exposed to all kinds of product promotions via interstitial and banner ads, Google ads and sponsored content. Do I remember any?

No.

Why? Because I consciously focus on what I am looking for and block out the rest. When an interstitial impedes progress to a content page, I click “Skip” lightning quick. I’m busy and don’t appreciate the speed bumps.

On LinkedIn, Facebook, news portals, blogs and other sites I visit regularly, I pay no heed to the advertisements that abut headlines, photos and links I peruse.

Am I a typical online user?

If so, web site owners, ad agencies and brands have plenty to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment